Sunday, November 23, 2008

Work: Day 1

Right now, I am procrastinating writing my paper. I love papers/speeches which are informative...4 years of teaching sunday school/speaking at CFs has taught me that. But when it comes to argumentative/persuasive stuff...I balk. I'm non-confrontational k? A pacifist. A keeper of peace.
.
Anyways. I'm going to procrastinate that paper and INFORM you about my first day of work.
.
I am a Service Technician, I work for Campus Technology, and I am a girl. You see, Tech and boy go together. Tech and girl don't go together. I'm gender biased. Sue me. But the truth is, you don't see girls lugging amplifiers around very often do you?
.
Before I get ahead of myself...mainly what I do is: I set up sound systems and LCD projectors for events around campus...and do classroom audio/visual maintenance...beyond that, I'm not so sure...=P
.
Yeah, so it's a guy dominated field and I'm tickled to death that I was even considered for this job. Heehee. Anyways...lugging those huge amplifiers around for Kids Band and setting up the sound system for chapel has given me a foretaste of what I'm going to be doing...
.
So on Friday, I reported to work at 1:30 pm. Boss taught me how to do some computer stuff (won't elaborate and bore you to tears). Then we walk walk walked to building #1 where all the audio/visual stuff was stored. He showed me around...and then we walk walk walked back to building #2. After sitting on my butt for a while, we walk walk walked building #3. Then he sends me and my colleague (heee...I get to use that word. I am tickled) to the Storage Room in building #1 to return some thing. Then we walk walk walk back to building #2 and sit on our butts again. After a while, Boss comes and takes me to building #4 to set up a sound system there. So everything is set up...and the mike doesn't work because there is NO BATTERY. I walk walk walk back to building #2 to get a battery. Walk walk walk back to building #4 to put the battery in the mike. And then I get let off work. So I walk walk walk back to my dorm.
.
What did I do on Friday? I walked and sat and walked and sat. =) Right now the weather is nice for walking, I can't say I'll be looking forward to it in the dead of winter when the CRAZY OKLAHOMA WIND blows though. But hey! Good exercise right?
.
Anyways, Boss seems like a nice, relaxed guy...the atmosphere in the office is pretty friendly...and everyone I've met so far are cheery. Overall rating of my first day of work? 8/10.
.
Now...back to that paper.

No comments: