Friday, April 10, 2009

Boootifull!!

This has been the "unholiest" Holy Week in my life. For the past 18 years of my life, Holy Week meant church every night for a week (or at least 4 days of services). But I guess things are different here. So when I saw that the university was going to have a Good Friday service at noon, I made sure that I'd be going for that.
.
And I did. But when I got to the chapel, there was no one there.
.
Whaaat?!
.
So I went back to my dorm and did my own little service. I was the pastor, worship leader, liturgist and congregation, all rolled into one. *grins*
.
So, my thoughts on Good Friday...
.
Let me start with my professor called JS. He is my Intro to Biblical Literature professor...and he's the american version of Dr. Leong (if you know him), only crazier. Like Dr. Leong, he is BIG on social justice, carries way too much information in his head, and just plain looks like a genius. But unlike Dr. Leong, he climbs on tables, teaches till he's red in the face and makes funny/weird noises to get his point across. He also makes me go cuckoo by giving us crazy-hard papers to write. But that's besides the point.
.
So the other day, we were going through Matthew 26...about the woman who anointed Jesus' feet with expensive perfume. We came to the part where Jesus rebuked Judas saying, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me..." And as he read that verse, he broke down in tears.
.
Tip: When your professor starts crying, it is time for you to wake up and pay attention. I'm just sayin'...
.
He explained to us that that verse was the basis of Mother Theresa's ministry - to "Do something beautiful for God". It was no wonder that he got all emotional, seeing that he is really into social justice and all.
.
Anyways, today being Good Friday and all, I took a listen to Planet Shaker's "Jesus, Beautiful Savior". Credit goes to Hannah for introducing this song to me. Anyways, here goes:
.


It struck me that Jesus did the most beautiful thing for us - he chose death so that I might have life. And in return, I want to do something beautiful for God. I don't know about you, but that kinda freaks me out. Coz Jesus' version of beautiful was kinda ugly, and Mother Theresa's version of beautiful was kinda dirty.
.
But I find courage in knowing that Jesus said,"...she has done a beautiful thing for me..."

1 comment:

esiotrot =) said...

awh... i'm glad i've contributed to ur holy week... =)faster come back!!!